Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK

From: Bram Neijt
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 18:00:04 +0200

On 10/6/06, Mike Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
David Given wrote:
> Mike Anderson wrote:
> However, I'd strongly suggest going for something like wxWidgets instead of
> GTK. That way you gain platform portability. GTK is nice and all, but you
> really don't want to use it on Windows or OSX --- it runs, but looks dreadful.
> wxWidgets will give you a consistent API with native look and feel on all
> (supported) platforms.

I'd agree totally, but wxWidgets is C++, isn't it? That means we'd need
a C wrapper unless such a thing already exists.

I don't agree totally. In my opinion, GTK is not really any
portability problem at the moment and wxWidgets is only portable
because of allot of preprocessor statements and functions that turn
out to be preprocessor macros (and it's C++). So, my opinion, GTK
doesn't look bad on windows, and wxWidgets doesn't introduce more
portability (only a more native look). Also note that there is no gst
running on w32 at the moment and this is *not* due to GTK.

Bram