Re: guilev1/2 musing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guilev1/2 musing
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 18:48:31 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/25/19 10:43 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I haven't looked at Jan-Peter's approach.  David Garfinkle's code is
>> mostly in the state of a solid first sketch, so a distribution-viable
>> production-ready code is still quite a bit of work away.  Without
>> anybody committed to take it considerably further, making decisions
>> based on its existence would seem to be a bit premature.  Like with
>> many open ends, this is more or less the "who decides to invest
>> significant work gets to decide on the approach".  There is not much
>> of a point in planning out in detail what nobody will pick up.
>

> Indeed, although, I've contributed a bit to Jan-Peter's code for this,
> and would like to contribute more (as time allows) to see this feature
> added to LilyPond.  But I've wondered which approach would make more
> sense for eventual landing in LilyPond.  More consensus about the
> approach, could encourage contributions by removing such questions.

Really, I don't think that looking for consensus at this point of time
makes a whole lot of sense.  We should rather look for workers and they
are of course welcome to any amount of advice others may muster.  Using
a sort-of standard XML/Scheme mapping certainly makes sense regardless
of the details of the approach taken.

--
David Kastrup