Re: \newEngraverSection (was "Re: Aleatoric Elements with barlines")

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: \newEngraverSection (was "Re: Aleatoric Elements with barlines")
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 09:38:49 -0800

On 2019-01-07 9:18 am, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Would it be technically possible to add a \newEngraverSection —
analogous to \newSpacingSection — which would allow a single
contiguous score to have different engravers "active" in different
sections?

This isn’t even yet at the level of "feature request": right now, I’m
just curious to hear an answer like "can’t happen without a total
re-write of the entire C++ codebase" or "technically possible, but the
interface isn’t clear" or "even though it’s dead simple to achieve,
here’s why that’s the stupidest idea we’ve ever heard".

I might approach this by seeing if it is possible to create a "meta" engraver that is able to delegate to another engraver and selectively remain "silent" over a specified range of time. In this way, the \Score-level engravers could be active except for the cadenza section. And the \Staff-level engravers are only active during the cadenza.

The concept seems like it could work, but I do not know the underlying details of LilyPond well enough to say if this is actually madness.

-- Aaron Hill