lout-users

Re: How do you use Lout?

From: robert . butora
Subject: Re: How do you use Lout?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 20:29:15 +0300 (EEST)

It seems that up to now I am the only one who writes
lout directly with editor.
That's how i use for tech.reports, thesis,
and even for transparences, all with lots of graphs
tables and equations (the @Eq package is really perfect,
easy to learn).

The only case when I generate short lout definitions is when doing
tables showing results of a some calculations from
Octave or MATLAB.

Most positive experience I had with bigger documents.
It is easy to restructure (change chapter order etc.)
and easy to overlook all document as it grows (reasonble division into
files), which is not always true for word
processors with graphical interface, with many-many menus
and even more dialog boxes - so that the setup and
formatting turns to a nightmare.

Why lout?
- it is small (i started to use it on an old laptop) and easy to learn
- produces/uses postscript
- reliable
- structuring and formatting of bigger documents is easy
- it si free

ciao