lout-users

Re: Moving the list ?

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: Moving the list ?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:53:21 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 15:04:45 (+0800), K. H. Man wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Moving the list ?
>
> Hi all,
>
> Sébastien Pierre wrote:
> >  - Should we host it at sourceforge ?
>
> I'm in favour of SF, it does not depend on any one person.

Using SF depends on one rather un-dependable company.

The problems I have with using sourceforge for mailing lists have
nothing whatsoever to do with the volume of e-mail.  The fact is they've
got some very poorly designed filtering and address verification
techniques while at the same time continuing to leave their own DNS and
hostname configurations broken and in violation of RFC 1123 and in such
a state that their own mailer wouldn't pass its own checks.  This means
effectively that they can't recieve e-mail from anyone who does anything
even remotely similar to what they do, and they probably couldn't even
send e-mail to themselves if they had to relay it via the public net.

So, if y'all do decide to move the list to SourceForge then I'll appear
to drop out of existance since I usually can't send e-mail to any SF
list.  (I can still usually receive e-mail from them, though at the
moment I'm only subscribed to their cricket-users list).

So instead I'm still offering to provide a "lout" sub-domain name from
any of the domains I control, and to host the DNS for it (and perhaps
even try to register "lout.info" or similar), and to run the list via
the already running GNU Mailman install on mail.planix.com (using
whatever domain name is suitable).

Note that even with a domain name like "lout.robohack.ca" or
"lout.planix.com" or "lout.planix.ca" or "lout.wierd.com" or
"lout.weird.ca" or maybe any number of other domains I have some
association with, the location of the web page and the mail server is
still independent of me.  I expect to have control over, or be
associated with, those domains for the forseable future and even if I
lose interest in lout I can trivially delegate them to anyone else and
just maintain the delegation.  The Planix and "weird" domains would even
outlive me in the event of my untimely demise.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <address@hidden>
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>          Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>