lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] dhcp_release_and_stop() clears the assigned IP address

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] dhcp_release_and_stop() clears the assigned IP address
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 20:48:32 +0000 (UTC)

> I can't really follow you there. But than again,
> [...]

Do you mean that lwIP's DHCP client never times out then?

> I haven't used a setup like you (letting DHCP continue
> and having a fallback to a static IP).
> I haven't come accross communication standards
> requiring this so far.> But then again, we have a tool to talk to devices
> that are set
> to DHCP but fail to get an address...

What tool is this? Is that perhaps some kind of small DHCP server?

My current approach has been working very well: If a user removes the device
from the network and connects it to a local laptop for reconfiguration
purposes, after a few seconds he can access the device at the fall-back IP
address. No external tools are necessary. And there is no need to reset the
device IP configuration with any external button. Just reconnect it to the main
network, and it works again as usual.

I think I have seen other devices with DHCP but with a fall-back IP address too.

> There *is* a branch for 2.1.x, which is currently a little outdated.
> [...]

That is good news. Thanks!
  rdiez