lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] dhcp_release_and_stop() clears the assigned IP address

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] dhcp_release_and_stop() clears the assigned IP address
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:54:50 +0100

Am 13.02.2019 um 21:48 schrieb R. Diez:

I can't really follow you there. But than again,
[...]

Do you mean that lwIP's DHCP client never times out then?

Unless you tell it to stop, no. There is one exception that it starts AutoIP in parallel after some time without success...

It simply does not have status callbacks. You're welcome to implement that though...

I haven't used a setup like you (letting DHCP continue
and having a fallback to a static IP).
I haven't come accross communication standards
requiring this so far.> But then again, we have a tool to talk to devices that
are set
to DHCP but fail to get an address...

What tool is this? Is that perhaps some kind of small DHCP server?

No, a private scanning tool using broadcasts...

My current approach has been working very well: If a user removes the device
from the network and connects it to a local laptop for reconfiguration
purposes, after a few seconds he can access the device at the fall-back IP
address. No external tools are necessary.

What fallback IP is that? How do you ensure it fits the subnet this device is connected to? How do you ensure this fallback address (I assume it's 192.168.0.1 *g*) is not used by other devices on that subnet?

And there is no need to reset the device IP configuration with any external
button. Just reconnect it to the main network, and it works again as usual.

I think I have seen other devices with DHCP but with a fall-back IP address too.

I do have, too, but to me this is kind of broken design... IP addresses must be assigned by someone. The devices I saw had the same fallback IP for all devices (factory-provided, e.g. 192.168.0.1). If you happen to connect that to a real subnet using this range, bad things can happen.

Regards,
Simon