Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org

From: Drazen Kacar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:23:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       The Lynx v2.6 DTD also recognizes everything in Cougar, so you may
> not want a parenthetical qualifier at all.  It also recognizes everything
> in RFCXXXX(i18n), which hasn't been assigned an RFC number yet.  That
> includes stuff which is not in HTML 2.0, 3.0, or any of the 3.2 drafts.

HTML 3.2 is not even a draft. I mean, it's not Internet draft. It says it's
W3C draft, and that means, in Microsoft interpretation, HTML 3.2 standard.
Can you tell me where is the Cougar spec? W3C server returns 403 for
http://www.w3c.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/Cougar/

>       I don't know anything about Amaya.  Has anyone tried it and
> assessed whether it supports the real HTML 3.0 markup that Arena

It's available for Solaris and Linux and I have both. It's painfully slow
with graphics, worse than Arena, although it's been a long time since
I've used it. It may be that Amaya is just as slow :) but it looks
much, much better than Arena. Kind of cute and professional at the same
time.

Pictures are being put on screen one by one and before the picture is drawn
the screen is cleared from that position till the end. If you have 10 same
images on the page, it will be cleared and redisplayed 10 times. It's very
annoying for every day use.

I've noticed it had problems with the table that Netscape displayed as it
was intended by the author. I wanted to see the source, but didn't find a
way to get that in Amaya. As far as I can tell from the Netscape rendering,
the only "strange" thing in it was COLSPAN attribute. Amaya also won't
display URL when you have mouse over the link and I didn't find any other
way to get this, either.

It will display the structure of a document and it looks really nice. Maybe
that's the thing I was supposed to look at instead of plain source, but
I'm used to sources and I can't switch to parse tree easily. You don't get
text in it and it's hard to find the spot you want to look at if it's not
the page you've written.

It can show the document without graphics, as would be seen by a Lynx user,
for example. This is also a really, really nice feature.

I didn't try the editor because I have no use for it. It would be much more
work trying to find the right icon than to write the HTML in text editor.

A little more work at it and I'd probably dump Netscape, but this is not
likely to happen. That last piece of code is usually the hardest to write.

> is made public after only one month of each update.  It's perhaps
> reasonable to anticipate that the Amaya sources will be made public
> at some reasonable interval after updates, rather than only after it
> has become obsolete, anyway (that won't likely happen, as happened
> for Arena, if Amaya has a really good HTML editor built in).

Not releasing sources is a bad idea. I suppose there are people willing to
work a bit at it, but they can't because no one wants them to.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

address@hidden
address@hidden