Re: LYNX-DEV connection

From: Duncan Hill
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV connection
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:46:19 +0400 (GMT-4)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 address@hidden wrote:

> A question remain (in fact, a lot of them), how to connect directly to a
> server without going through the Lynx Enhanced Pages ?
> And not through General Web resources: starting points for web exploration ?

Ok.  The default startup page for Lynx is the Lynx Enhanced Pages.  This
can be changed in the master lynx.cfg file, which for example, is in
/usr/local/lib on my Linux system.

In lynx.cfg, there is a line that looks like:
STARTFILE:http://www.nyu.edu/pages/wsn/subir/lynx.html

You could change this to the path to the local help files for lynx, or
your bookmark file etc.

Also, you can start lynx with the place you want to go, ie:
lynx http://www.infoseek.com
would tell lynx to start at the Infoseek search engine.

If you come across a site that you want to visit in the future, press 'a'
to 'A'dd to the bookmark file, then choose either D)ocument to save the
location of the page that you are looking at, or L)ink to save a bookmark
to the link that is currently selected.

Another starting point is 'i'.  This brings up the Internet Resources
Meta-Index.

Hope this helps

Duncan Hill