LYNX-DEV Lynx version 2.7 compilation problem (SCO Unix)

From: Jason White
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx version 2.7 compilation problem (SCO Unix)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 13:39:54 +1000 (AEST)

I have encountered a problem when attempting to compile lynx version 2.7
on a computer running SCO UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2. Please note that
I am not the system administrator on this system; nor have I had any prior
experience of compiling software under unix or of c programming. A friend
who is much more experienced in these matters has however suggested that I
send a copy of the error message from the compiler to the lynx-dev mailing
list. Any suggestions concerning the nature of the problem and how to
resolve it would be much appreciated.

I have not yet tried to compile freeWIS, but have instead sought to
compile lynx without it.

The uname -X command reports that the system is Release 3.2v4.2. The
following are the messages displayed when the "make sco" command is run:

make sco
        cd WWW/Library/sco; make CC="gcc" LYFLAGS="-DNO_FILIO_H -DUNIX \
                -DSCO -DDIRED_SUPPORT -DLONG_LIST  "
`../../Library/sco/libwww.a' is up to date.
        cd src; make all CC="gcc" MCFLAGS="-O -s -DNO_FILIO_H -DUNIX -DSCO \
                -DFANCY_CURSES -DMMDF -DNO_UTMP -DNO_SIZECHANGE \
                -I../WWW/Library/Implementation -DDIRED_SUPPORT  -DOK_TAR
-DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP -DOK_UUDECODE -DOK_OVERRIDE -DOK_PERMIT  " \
                LIBS="-lcurses -lsocket -ltermcap -lmalloc \
                  " \
                WWWLIB="../WWW/Library/sco/libwww.a"
Compiling Lynx sources
Linking and creating Lynx executable
        gcc -O -s -DNO_FILIO_H -DUNIX -DSCO     -DFANCY_CURSES -DMMDF -DNO_UTMP
-DNO_SIZECHANGE         -I../WWW/Library/Implementation -DDIRED_SUPPORT
-DOK_TAR -DOK_ZIP -DOK_GZIP -DOK_UUDECODE -DOK_OVERRIDE -DOK_PERMIT   -I..  -o
lynx  LYClean.o LYShowInfo.o LYEdit.o LY
Strings.o  LYMail.o HTAlert.o GridText.o LYGetFile.o  LYMain.o LYMainLoop.o
LYCurses.o LYBookmark.o LYUtils.o  LYOptions.o LYReadCFG.o LYSearch.o
LYHistory.o  LYForms.o LYPrint.o LYrcFile.o LYDownload.o LYNews.o LYKeymap.o
HTML.o HTFWriter.o HTInit.o Def
aultStyle.o LYLocal.o LYUpload.o  LYLeaks.o LYexit.o LYJump.o LYList.o LYCgi.o
LYTraversal.o  LYEditmap.o LYCharSets.o LYCharUtils.o LYMap.o LYCookie.o
../WWW/Library/sco/libwww.a  -lcurses -lsocket -ltermcap -lmalloc
undefined                       first referenced
__unlink                            LYMail.o
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to lynx
*** Error code 1
*** Error code 1

Thank you for your consideration,

Jason White.