Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx service desk

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx service desk
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:45:57 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:

> I've been thinking of ways we could improve our appearance as
> an organization as well as handle the variety of "bug" messages
> that show up on Lynx-Dev.  Sometimes I feel that questions by
> novices or other problems are unanswered, or perhaps answered
> by too many differing answers.
>
> I personally don't have the time or knowledge to answer every
> question.  What might be helpful is a tracking system that
> would indicate the status of messages posted to the list.
> The "service folk" who monitor this list could mark messages
> as needing replies, as opposed to followups or code development
> issues.  There would need to be a resolution code showing
> several options, as in "upgrade to new version", "here's the
> page of the FAQ that you need to read", "bug fixed", or
> "outstanding."
>
> I think the gnats mechanism may be a good tool for this, or
> perhaps some type of web forum software (but w/o tables :-).

As an example how this may look in praxis, you can got to
labelled "Bug Report Mirrors" near the bottom.

You will even find some bugs there filed against the Debian/GNU Linux
Lynx package... (which haven't been reported to this list AFAIK).

I am not sure whether the kind of elaborate system as used by the
Debian project would be appropriate for lynx-dev.  I am not convinced
the current system is broken.

Many of the "bug reports" to lynx-dev are requests for basic help rather
than bug reports.  If all those were entered into a bug-tracking system,
you'd have a lot of overhead without much gain.  It will also not increase
people's inclination to respond to such messages.

  Klaus

;
;