Re: LYNX-DEV updating http://lynx.browser.org/

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV updating http://lynx.browser.org/
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 14:42:30 -0500 (EST)

  From: Wayne Buttles <address@hidden>

  IMHO, the Win32 port is as good as the worst unix port.  I just want to
  make it as good as the best port ;-)

  The DJGPP (DOS 386) port is coming along pretty well too.  It is as true a
  port as the Win32 version so I don't think "... a DOS derivative exists"
  really covers it correctly.

Upside: Great!  I have probably been over-reacting to your
modesty-inspired remarks about "still definitely alpha..."
I was trying to increase the visibility to your work on this
page (consider the prior state).

Downside: I thought DJGPP was currently hostage to the fact that
you can't get answers from DJ.  IMHO mail and ftp are must items.
How easy is it for someone to get a Lynx that does ftp and mail
up and running in any Intel environment?

Assumptions: You have to understand that I think the people we
are talking to at lynx.browser.org are users and sysops,
i.e. basically candidates for released versions.  There is no
Intel in the 2.7 release.  That is all "current developmental
version" where you should have moderate SysOp skills to touch it.

at SLCC populated with a current status of the developmental
version, I don't see why this page doesn't link to it under
some "What's new" kind of lead-in.
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/status.html
or what-have-you.  I know Scott can make the server understand the
prefix.  All we need is to have the developers keep _one URL_
informed on the latest status as well as posting to the list.
Do you want this to be a guestbook so that developers can autonomously
post to it?  Do you want it to be a HyperMail?  Do you want Russell
to set up a parallel channel just for posting CHANGES via email?

Pick any of the above and they can probably get done.

The key is that the preferences of the most active developers will
be weighted highly, but you have to think about your public and
devise a PR channel that they can link to.

Net:  Tell me what short sentence should replace the "principally
runs on ..." sentence on this home page and I probably won't argue
with you.

--
Al Gilman

;