Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 11:55:17 -0500 (EST)

Hynek Med <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 2 May 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2 May 1997, Bela Lubkin wrote:
>> > An hour later: it's because character 0xA2 is eventually being
>> > translated to 0x9b on output.  The SCO ANSI console takes 0x9b as CSI,
>>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > Control Sequence Initiator, same as ESC [.  This is pretty standard
>> > behavior for ANSI terminals of various sorts.
>>
>> The IBM PC character set (cp437) contains a visible character at that
>> position.  Since you are telling Lynx that that is your display character
>> set, when apparently it is not, you shouldn't be surprised about unusual
>> results.
>
>Well, it happens to me with ISO-8859-2 display character set too. It
>looks that ISO-8859-2 Display character set should be declared as not
>having visible characters at that area?
>
>Or perhaps we need another option to determine whether we can actually
>display the characters in the control area? My reason for this: what is
>cp437 good for anyway? I mean, when you have a VT100 emulator like NCSA
>telnet or PDCURSES in the MSDOS versions, it should interpret the control
>characters as control characters, not to display them, so all character
>sets should be declared as non-displaying characters in the control area..
>:-)

        The bank of 8-bit control characters always is illegal for
text/html.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.  The vanilla Lynxes accept them
only for the CJK charsets and KOI8-R, because Lynx still does a single
pass through the stream, and thus uses a state machine to juggle the
"de-encoding" and "de-encoded parsing" at the same time.  But for CJK
charsets, those aren't 8-bit control characters.  They're half of a
multibyte pair.

                                Fote