Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV minor display problem (?character 0xA2?)
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 11:00:17 -0700

Klaus Weide wrote:

> > not occur when using "wy60".  Lynx set up for IBM PC character set, raw
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > translated to 0x9b on output.  The SCO ANSI console takes 0x9b as CSI,
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Control Sequence Initiator, same as ESC [.  This is pretty standard
> > behavior for ANSI terminals of various sorts.
>
> The IBM PC character set (cp437) contains a visible character at that
> position.  Since you are telling Lynx that that is your display character
> set, when apparently it is not, you shouldn't be surprised about unusual
> results.

Aye, perhaps you are right.

Yet other reports indicate that the Linux console behaves similarly; a
significant part of Lynx's audience is affected by this problem.

Try the following:

this is a test (1) ... &cent;2J
this is a test (2) ... &cent;=155g

On my system, using IBM PC character set and iso-8859-1 (assumed), the
first sequence gets translated to 0x9B 2J, which clears the screen; so I
see only "this is a test (2) [cent sign]" on the screen.  I could have
done something else, including reprogramming a function key to send a
dangerous sequence (an rm command...)

I *can* display the &cent; character by sending "ESC [ = 1 5 5 g", a SCO
specific sequence which means "display character 155 (decimal) without
any special interpretation".  The second line shows this.  The Linux
console probably also supports that, being modeled after the SCO
console.  Hmmm.

I think all other chars in the 0x80..0x9f range can be displayed
directly.  Also, IBM PC chars in the range 0x01..0x1f can be displayed
with the "ESC [ = <decimal> g" sequence.  This might be useful...

>Bela<
;
;