LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 01:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

970502 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:
> > Well, if I were to grab fote's changes and incorporate them,
> > that would add more work for me with no guarantee
> > it would get into the devel code.  What I'm wondering is
> > why fote isn't making his mods directly to the devel code
> > (or at least basing his mods on the devel code)
> > instead of maintaining a separate version.
> > It makes it hard to know what version to base my mods on.
> > Is Fote's code significantly different from your code?
>
> The development code adds chartrans, Wayne's patches, auto-config and
> related changes, slang-like color with curses, two ways of parsing,
> the fragment stuff Fote sez is "bugs", several other changes and
> additions (Wayne's recent EXTERN, changes for WHEREIS different from
> Fote's, ...), and fotemods has changes which are not (some maybe "not
> yet") in the devel code -- you get an idea.
>
> > I know you were both working on parsing problems at one point.
> > I thought you had merged the "best of both worlds".
>
> The devel code has Fote's parsing changes as an alternative method,
> switchable with '^V', yes.  (It is not really appropriate to call that
> "old parsing" or "Old DTD", since it isn't, but I haven't come up with
> anything better.  Suggestions?)
>
> > Perhaps you should start working off the same base.
--- snip --- etc --- snip --- etc --- snip ---

before everyone else gets lost -- i have been for a couple of days --
isn't it time to STOP, LOOK & DISCUSS BRIEFLY whether there is now
enough material collected to create Lynx 2-7-2 ?

certainly, some testing of some of the improvements may still be needed,
but if it's done with the intention of arriving at a reliable 2-7-2
we shall all have something to focus on again.  at present,
it's getting so there's too many versions, patches & bits & pieces
flying around for even the code-writers themselves to keep track.

in saying this, i remain impressed by & grateful for what Laura, Klaus
& others have achieved in the past few weeks (big smile).
it looks like some important improvements have been achieved:
i'ld just like to have a solid version i can download & try out (grin).

;