Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 00:23:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> >                     I didn't see any command line or lynx.cfg settings
> >for the location.  I was hoping it was the current directory, but no go.
> >I've exceded my quota a couple of times trying to do a trace, and wound up
> >having to do the old redirection thing (via -tlog) with sh do get a log in
> >/tmp.
>
>       You don't want it in /tmp, because nothing is being done to
> distinguish the logs for difference processes.  TRACE mode is not
> something you want on indescriminately.  You should turn it on when
> you have a reason for it, and then turn it off.  You're pointlessly
> wasting overhead and slowing down Lynx, otherwise.

Hadn't thought about not distinguishing it from others, but I usually put
stuff that I work on in /tmp/$USER (somewhat analogous to SETUP SCRATCH on
VMS which created a directory on a temp drive and assigned SYS$SCRATCH to
point to it).  I don't leave scratch on, but was trying to reproduce a
somewhat sketchy bug (the whereis/forms bug), and wanted to leave trace on
while doing lots of different things to try to get it to bomb.  Those
trace logs can grow rather quickly. :)