Re: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV soft hyphens (was: fotemods.zip update)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:38:28 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>>      I didn't include your highlight() mod in LYUtils.c.  That's another
>> ambiguous case, and my preference is to leave clear that's it's a soft
>> hyphen in a link name that's been split to two lines, because for example,
>> you won't get a hit for it if you include a hyphen at the end of a string
>> that includes the end of the first, split, line in the link name (but
>> others are likely to see both as bugs, not a features :).
>
>I made that change to get the *same* behavior with (n)curses as with
>slang.  I actually liked it how the '-' was not highlighted.  With curses,
>hightlight() would eat the '-'.  The addch man page says "A  newline also
>does a clrtoeol() before moving", apparently slang doesn't do this so you
>may not have noticed.

        Oh.  The VMS curses does not do that, either.

        This:

            addch('\n');
            for (i = 0; i < links[cur].hightext2_offset; i++)
                addch(' ');

is from the original Lynx, and should be simply:

            move((links[cur].ly + 1), links[cur].hightext2_offset);

so that it will work identically for slang, VMS curses, and Unix (n)curses
(and presumeably the PC curses) without need for any #ifdef'ing.

        Is there any chance of your including the mod to reverse but not
also underline the current link when slang is not in color mode?  As
Hiram confirmed when I did that in the fotemods, it makes it much nicer.
Real reverse, plus physical underlining, is an eye sore on most terminals.
(but using real reverse, plus bold, plus physical underlining is OK for
WHEREIS search hits, IMHO, 'cuz you can quickly spot them as unreadable
blotches :)

                                Fote