Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:59:07 +0900 (JST)

> >question remains unanswered to me at least: is there any reason why
> >"NOPORT" has to be dealt with any differently from any other
> >compilation symbol for Unix, i.e., why isn't the explanation in
> >Makefile.old/makefile.in enough?
>
>       It can be defined for any platform.  VMS does not use the
> make procedure, and so defining it in the Makefile.old/makefile.in
> would not make any difference.  It would need to be defined in the
> .com and .mms files, or via direct editing of HTFTP.c.  No effort
> has been made to keep the .com and .mms files updated in the devel
> code, so the NOPORT matter is a relatively minor issue as far as
> VMS is concerned, i.e., relative to other needs for VMS to continue
> being one of the supported platforms.

Thank you for the input.  I plan to revise INSTALLATION so that "NOPORT"
is given the status of any other compilation symbol.  That will make the
compile process one little bit simpler.  Until some update to the VMS
.com and .mms files is provided, I'll include the information on how to
edit HTFTP.c in the VMS compilation section.

I am confident the present developers are concerned about keeping as
many ports of Lynx supported as possible.  It is at least my intent to
have the INSTALLATION file cover all ports.  "No effort has been made
to keep the .com and .mms files updated" only means that context diffs
have not been forthcoming on the lynx-dev mailing list.  In general,
efforts to keep things up to date for a particular port, whether that
be Unix, VMS, DOS386, Win32 (and still waiting for Mac), have to be made
by the people who are actually using that port.  I know for a fact that
you, Fote, are not the only knowledgeable person who compiles Lynx on
VMS.  Those are the people who are not making any efforts, IMHO.  Keep
the patches coming; keep providing input - everybody!

__Henry

Keep your sense of humor, too!  Saw this on netnews the other day:
            | "VMS is about as secure as a poodle
            |  encased in a block of lucite....
            |  .... about as useful, too."
            |          --some guy I read on Usenet