Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:43:57 +0900 (JST)

> If I used the development code, I would.  I stick strictly to fotemods.  I
> understand those changes better for some reason.

I understand completely.  I think both Tom and Klaus know that I wasn't
using the devcode from the end of June to mid-August.  It was just
getting to be too much of a struggle.  Then, when I had the time to
work with it a bit, I couldn't download it.  That's all in the past
now.  I enjoy Klaus's efforts on the chrtrans.  I'm proud to know that
the browser I use has ports to the different platforms.  Since I know
how to compile Lynx myself, I almost prefer to do it manually, but I
know how great autoconf is when you're coming into a new package you've
never laid eyes on.  Tom's expertise in this area, in addition to
knowing terminals/curses inside and out, has had a good influence on
the code.  What I am saying is, if you have the time, give the devcode
a chance, too.

> >you, Fote, are not the only knowledgeable person who compiles Lynx on
> >VMS.  Those are the people who are not making any efforts, IMHO.

Okay.  I apologize.  I was angry because I thought Fote was trying to
blame the wrong person (and I still believe he was) and started pointing
my finger when I shouldn't have.

> I _compile_ it.  I also _understand_ VMS well enough.  What I'm lacking is the
> ability to program in C.  I can make small changes to C to modify a program's
[...]
> code might fail to compile, however, or produce wrong run-time results.  What
> kind of "effort" do you envision I could produce?

I couldn't touch a candle to your abilities.  Can't program C; big deal.
Tom, Klaus, Wayne, Hiram, Fote and others on this list are all great
programmers.  The only effort I would ask is, once in a while try to
compile the devcode, and as soon as it breaks say: "Hey, guys, you broke
the code!!!  Put it back the way it was!"  Maybe send in the compile
errors.  It might not get fixed overnight, but it will eventually.
Unless people on the various platforms inform the list that things are
broken, no one will know.  Quite obviously now it's going to take some
doing to get VMS to compile again.  If the developers had known sooner,
things wouldn't have gotten so far out of hand.

Anyway, I don't like to step on people's toes, but I would like to
encourage those who feel helpless and useless at times that that is
just not true.  Keep barking at the list when you think Lynx is not
where it could or should be.  No one's asking anyone to do what one
can't do.  But don't be silent!  Speaking up, giving your opinion IS
a valuable part of the development process.

Any flames to me directly, please.

__Henry    Lynx-related flames, comments: <address@hidden>
;
;