LYNX-DEV URL references

From: Andrew Vardy
Subject: LYNX-DEV URL references
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:13:29 -0330 (NST)

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> >>    You can read replies via:  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/
> >>

> >Say, you include a URL reference in your message.
> >
> >I was wondering if there is any way to click on a URL, like you can do
> >Windows programs, in a mouse click.  That is, any way to click on URL, for
> >example, in Pine from a keypress?
> >
> >I just wonder because, sometimes people have URL references fairly often,
> >and sometimes I think they use Unix.
>
>       That http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/ is a hypertext archive,
> and anything which has the structure of a URL will be converted to a
> link you can ACTIVATE.   The Lynx news gateway has a similar feature
> when reading Usenet news articles.  However, Lynx does not have a
> gateway for reading raw mail messages, only for sending mail via mailto
> HREFs or ACTIONs, or as a form of 'd'ownloading or 'p'rinting.  There are
> a number of general mail utilities which convert apparent URLs to links
> when you read mail with them.  Perhaps someone on lynx-dev has a list
> and could post it.

Yep, that is what I would like.  Really need to access URLs on the fly
from many, many mailing lists.  Important in my life.  Especially where I
have the occasion to want to buy some things on-line, and so check out web
sites.

Want to access URLs like above, as above, from a key-"click" from Pine.

Didn't notice what mailreader you use.  Couldn't find this given in the
header line to this message.

> When using such a mail utility, you specify a browser
> (e.g., Lynx) via a configuration file (e.g., .mailcap) for handling the
> link as a URL, but it is that general mail utility, not the browser, which

Mailcap?  Oh, that's another one.  The little file, which then lets you
launch Lynx from Pine upon an attempt to view a text/HTML attachment.
Yup.  And I just recently got this to work.  That was good; although there
probably aren't too many HTML attachments.  At least, what I see.

> in effect is treating a text/plain mail message as pseudo-HTML and then
> invoking the browser as a "helper application".

Yes, this is what I want.  Haven't received any suggestion yet from any
other person, or advice.

I must say, you described the scenario very well.