Re: LYNX-DEV P command; also failed search

From: Andrew Cormack
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV P command; also failed search
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:52:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Philip Webb wrote:

> is anyone else puzzled &/or mildly irritated by the behaviour of Lynx
> in the following respects? should the next version revise things? --
>
> (1) the command  p  calls up a new screen giving  3  options:
>     (a) save to file, (b) e-mail the page, (c) print to screen.

Philip,

I'm not puzzled, and regard both b & c as essential. We provide a public
account on our information server for users who don't have a full internet
connection. By connecting a terminal emulator to this account, which
automatically runs up lynx, they can get fast access to the web. For
obvious security reasons, this public account is banned from writing to
disk, so the other two options are essential for anyone who wants to save
a copy of what they see. Those with mailboxes can mail the file to
themselves, others can use print to screen and a capture program on their
own machine.

If these options were removed, then lynx would be a lot less useful to us
and, I suspect, many others.

Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: address@hidden     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |
       | Web page and PGP key: http://www.cf.ac.uk/People/cormack.html   |