Re: LYNX-DEV P command; also failed search

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV P command; also failed search
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:03:17 -0500

address@hidden (Philip Webb) wrote:

> is anyone else puzzled &/or mildly irritated by the behaviour of Lynx
> in the following respects? should the next version revise things? --

Puzzled I can understand - why in the world would you be 'mildly irritated'
because someone else has a need you don't understand?

> (1) the command  p  calls up a new screen giving  3  options:
>     (a) save to file, (b) e-mail the page, (c) print to screen.
> (a) is very useful & straightforward, but why would anyone want (b, c)?

Actually, when I do a P, I see:

                                                          Lynx Printing Options

                 Printing Options (Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.97)

   There are 369 lines, or approximately 6 pages, to print.
   You have the following print choices.
   Please select one:

   [1]Save to a local file
   [2]Mail the file
   [3]Print to the screen
   [4]no format default printer
   [5]postscript default printer
   [6]weblint page
   [7]MOST printer
   [8]Use vt100 print sequence to print from your local terminal

so not everyone sees the same thing...

> i can easily e-mail the current page using  g  +  mailto:<e-address>
> & this allows me to edit the file before sending it;

Yes, but if all I want to do is for instance send a copy of the file,
to myself, for later use in some way, I don't NEED to edit the file.

> using (b) does add the list of URLs at the end,

which is usually the reason I want it - to create a formatted document,
with footnotes, that I can then use later for research purposes.

> but if i really want that i can use (a), then separately use  elm .
> as for (c), all it does is scroll the page down the screen too rapidly to
> read!

Ah - perhaps the use here (and I don't know for certain) is for terminals
with printers, so that folk can get a local print out of a page?