Re: LYNX-DEV Partial Display

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Partial Display
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:46:59 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Wayne Buttles wrote:

>For some reason, the following page screws up lynx with
>your patch (yes, BAD HTML ;-).  http://www.fdisk.com/search/
>
>I'm not sure I like the incremental view, but it could be because I am not
>used to it.  It definately looks costly for slow telnet links though.

I think what is happening here is that when the first chunk is loaded the
buffer is rendered but somehow <form ...> is cut at the middle and lynx
can not recover until it receives </form>.  There is no easy way of
recovering this on the fly, though (which is done when the reader returns
HT_LOADED true, I guess).

For me I don't feel the telnet speed. But, after couple of hours of
surfing with the new display, I started doing 'z + [ l ] + arrow/mouse'
whenever I see what I expect. Unless it is at the very end, this
_increases_ the speed of _surfing_ (of course not the communication).

And have you tried doing this:
* wait until first block of data loaded.
* then type ^E -or- END
* Now, you will catch new coming blocks of data until you move to
  somewhere else in the document (again costly on the connection).

I plan to put RIGHT_MOUSE_BUTTON in the recognized buttons (while the page
is loaded) to do the INTR ('z'), which can make, again, easy surfing.

Still I could not figure out file:// read. '.gz' works if its URL is
'http://'. Any suggestions where to look for?

--
Sinan.