Re: lynx-dev changing mail user (was Your Mail)

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changing mail user (was Your Mail)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Wayne Buttles <address@hidden>
> >Try this:
> >
> >SYSTEM_MAIL:sendmail -f address@hidden -h access.digex.net -r
> >mail.access.digex.net SMTP
> >SYSTEM_MAIL_FLAGS:
>
>       Since Al reported that it worked for him, I tried it
> from here (both with and without the -m before the SMTP, which
> apparently doesn't matter because SMTP is the default) to see
[snip]
>       I got no indication from Lynx that anything had failed,
> but it's been a while and I still haven't received the test
> message I sent to address@hidden as if from Al, so it
> apparently did not, in fact, work.

It's possible that your site simply ignored it, or that a relaying site
dropped it.  Relays that drop this sort of thing usually send some sort of
bounce note, though.

>       Do you know if sendmail.exe is checking a database for
> authorization info, e.g., that used by Outlook Express, such
> that it could be modified to make this type of misuse actually
> work?  I presume the sources for sendmail.exe are not available.

The configuration file is /etc/sendmail.cf.  While sendmail is open source
(sendmail.org) I'm pretty sure a local admin would be annoyed at finding a
user copy floating around, much less a user with the gumption to tweak the
code on it...

The entry you would want to change would be T - trusted user.  Usually root
is on this list (big surprise), and you might add mailing list software (so
you wouldn't have to waste a uid for every list onsite) or a Postman account
that isn't root.

Netscape lets people spoof the Name, email and Organization fields, but as
far as I can tell it is making a raw smtp call for itself.  (Though I haven't
looked at the source, now that we can.)  Our modular approach (not writing
parts that aren't a browser) lets us take advantage of local tools, but also
forces us under their policies and permissions.

> Foteos Macrides (address@hidden during April, '98)

I have cc'd you in case you are momentarily off the list, and also in case my
own message fails to make the list somehow.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         address@hidden
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - address@hidden
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078