Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1dev.12 with slang seg faults

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1dev.12 with slang seg faults
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 18:27:36 -0400 (EDT)

> On Mon, May 18, 1998, T.E.Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>       [...]
>
> > oh: I only noticed in your earlier message something about casts, and was
> > thinking about casting away const -- if you have some other warnings, I'm
> > interested in seeing those.
>
> If I do a make with all the warnings turned on, there's a
> bunch.  I'll attached a gzipped copy of the output.
good (I like compiler warnings - there are of course some that I've not
unraveled yet in Lynx, but I'll look for new ones ;-)

> > DEC's got a debugger of course - if I were testing this, I'd try to narrow
> > the problem down to a line number (compiling with -g).  Most problems like
> > this are easy to pinpoint (though of course the ones that account for most
> > of the time aren't ;-)
>
> I'm clueless about debugging - I've forgotten more than I
> ever knew about C code.  When lynx crashes on this, there's
> no core produced, though I've got "NO_FORCED_CORE_DUMPS:FALSE" or
> whatever in the userdefs.h file.
huh (an uncooperative bug).  Maybe core dumps are disabled in your ulimit
setting (or perhaps Lynx is exiting on its own).  It's been a while since
I've seen this, but some systems would only dump core intermittently (say
80% of the time).

> I built lynx with "--enable-debug" & "--with-screen=slang" as the only
> configure flag, and left userdefs.h and lynx.cfg unedited.
>
> The output I can manage from gdb follows:
well, I'll look & see if I can think of some cause.  (thanks).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden