Re: lynx-dev "Looking up ... "

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev "Looking up ... "
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 03:00:31 -0400 (EDT)

980624 several people kindly replied to my query/grumble:
certainly, the last thing i want to cause is a religious war ...

probably i need a bit of educating:
i have been assuming that when Lynx tells me "Looking up ... ",
it has sent a request to a DNS somewhere out there in the cybervoid
to give the IP address for the URL,
having obtained which it will send a request off to that address;
in that case, it would seem to be better to cache the address locally,
saving my time, the local system's time & everyone's bandwidth.

i compile my own version of Lynx, which runs on a university UNIX system,
which has good hardware but is very very short-staffed.
should i revise my mental picture to assume
that the IP address is in fact being looked up on the local system
or maybe a shared resource somewhere on campus or in Toronto?
questions to the sysadmin will probably go unanswered,
so is there any way i can explore what is actually happening?

also, i did obtain the IP address of FT,
but when i entered  g  http://194.72.129.130  Lynx replied "Can't connect",
tho' it was successfully reaching  http://www.ft.com/ ;
doing  whois  once would be a work-around for the problem,
but in this case didn't help: did i employ the wrong format?

what is so wrong, anyway, with caching the last  20  IP addresses (eg)?
Lynx already caches the last  n  pages downloaded (i set it to  20 ),
which takes a lot more storage.

so no matches & firewood, please, but can we debate a bit more?