Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"? Any votes for a "simple" Lynx

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"? Any votes for a "simple" Lynx
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:19:57 -0400 (EDT)

> > Read 4 KB of data. 4 kb/sec.
>
> Not fair for me to speak up at this stage of the game, but for
> my Internet connection this kb/sec "feature" is superfluous
> (usually sits at 0 kb/sec; got up to 2 kb/sec once, but that
> was only because I was rocking in my chair encouraging things).
> Is there anyway to compile for the old-stlye data counter?
> Seeing the bytes click over is enough to know what the speed
> of transfer is.
it's in one place, so I suppose we could add an ifdef.  I made it a
single function to make it simple to change.  (yes, it makes the program
a little larger, but it doesn't hit performance).

> Finally having been able to compile a development version (22),
> it seems as if a few other little changes like this have crept
> in.  It would be a lot of work to do if done all at once, but
> I wonder if we could establish a BARE_BONES symbol that would
> be a kind of generic symbol to not compile in simple cosmetic
> changes which add code, no matter how miniscule.  It might be
> a way to rather painlessly slow down the creaping bloat of Lynx,
> which is becoming a major problem.  It is a fact that the Lynx
> image on my SunOS has grown *FIVE* times what it was a little
> less than 3 years ago.  Having a generic symbol that anyone could
> wrap their new code in might be convenient.  In the future, a few
> other obvious chunks not yet under control of compile options
> could be added on.
most of the growth afaik is the character-set stuff (a little hard to
disentangle).  The development Lynx's within a percent or so of the 2.8
version in size.

> If there is any interest in this, I might start with the tiny
> piece that I added to avoid the need for a separate lpansi
> program.  The BARE_BONES (open for suggestions for a better
> name!!) symbol would in this case remove the entire "case
> TO_SCREEN" in printfile() and all other associated definitions
> and code.  I would probably go ahead and tie in what I know
> how to cut out easily, e.g., news.  In months to come I would
> then slowly plug away at the many hints Klaus gave me in the
> past (ca. Oct. 1997) about reducing the image size.
ok (in principle).  it'll make the code more complex though, unless
things are hidden away in macros.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden