Re: lynx-dev comments on "compile time settings"

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev comments on "compile time settings"
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 03:04:44 -0700

> > Some things that ought to change, but not until after 2.8.1 is
> > released...
> >
> > Currently, as soon as you go to the INFO page ('='), temp files are
> > immediately created to hold the "compile time settings" and "your
> > lynx.cfg" pages.  I think these should be created on demand.  I also
> I thought of that, but didn't know how (suggestions are welcome - I see you
> are doing that here).
>
> afaik, if I pass the info-page to Lynx, the related pages have to be
> available.

Well, yes, since the INFO page, as currently created, has URLs in it
that refer to temp files!  If it was created with "about:compile", the
handler for that would do whatever it did.  e.g. if you GOTO
"LYNXKEYMAP:", it does the right thing without having pre-created the
data for that.

Oh, the INFO page itself should also be an "about:" URL.  I see that
Netscape does exactly this: "about:http://sol.slcc.edu"; gives me some
stuff that Netscape knows about it, very much in the same vein as Lynx's
INFO page.

> ok - I'll look into this.  (Right now I've switched to xterm because I've
> both waiting for your input on NSL_FORK, and because I need a break from
> Lynx and vile).

Well, I'm about to send a patch that should fix that NSL_FORK problem;
mind you, I've used a sledgehammer where a scalpel might have been more
appropriate...