Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION error

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION error
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:00:51 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, I wrote:

> Unfortunately, this now gives incorrect information. The only problem
> with the previous instructions, is that the step to edit the
> makefile should occur after using ./configure. Both Makefile and
> WWW/Library/Implementation/CommonMakefile need to be edited by hand
> after the configure step. I believe that the current wording is correct
> and easy to follow.

Since I didn't like the previous effort to fix INSTALLATION, it is
only fair that I submit my own effort to fix the problem. How does this
look?
                            Doug

*** lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION      Wed Nov 18 11:23:56 1998
--- lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION.new  Tue Dec  1 22:54:06 1998
***************
*** 60,76 ****
      in userdefs.h or lynx.cfg so that it points to users' signature files
      for appending to posted messages.

! Step 5. (optional -- UNIX only)
!     To add direct WAIS support, get the freeWAIS distribution from
!     "ftp://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/freewais";, and compile it.  The
compile
!     process will create the libraries you will need, wais.a and client.a.
Edit
!     the Makefile in the top level directory and add the library locations
under
!     the DIRECT WAIS ACCESS heading.  Edit the Makefile for the WWW Library in
!     "WWW/Library/Implementation/CommonMakefile" to point to the include
!     directory for the freewais distribution.  Precompiled libraries are
!     available for many platforms if you don't wish to compile one yourself.
!
! Step 6. (Anonymous account -- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! -- )
      If you are building Lynx for your personal use only you may skip this
      step. If you are setting up an anonymous account with Lynx, you are
      STRONGLY advised to use the -anonymous command line option.  If you do
--- 60,66 ----
      in userdefs.h or lynx.cfg so that it points to users' signature files
      for appending to posted messages.

! Step 5. (Anonymous account -- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! -- )
      If you are building Lynx for your personal use only you may skip this
      step. If you are setting up an anonymous account with Lynx, you are
      STRONGLY advised to use the -anonymous command line option.  If you do
***************
*** 434,439 ****
--- 424,439 ----
      Lynx manually, "docs/Makefile.old" will serve as a template for the
      top-level Makefile, and instructions on how to compile are given in
      "docs/INSTALLATION.old".
+
+ 3. Wais support (optional)
+     To add direct WAIS support, get the freeWAIS distribution from
+     "ftp://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/freewais";, and compile it.  The
compile
+     process will create the libraries you will need, wais.a and client.a.
Edit
+     the Makefile in the top level directory and add the library locations
under
+     the DIRECT WAIS ACCESS heading.  Edit the Makefile for the WWW Library in
+     "WWW/Library/Implementation/CommonMakefile" to point to the include
+     directory for the freewais distribution.  Precompiled libraries are
+     available for many platforms if you don't wish to compile one yourself.

  III. Compile instructions -- VMS
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)