Re: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:51:43 -0600 (CST)

Amazingly enough Kim DeVaughn said:
> Even so, it still seems like there'll be a problem with backup files~
> left laying around, since if you decide to externally edit a text field
> that *already* has some text in it, that text will need to be transfered
> to a file before the editor is invoked, and then upon exiting the editor,
> both the newly edited text file, and its backup~ will exist (independently
> of whether the new text gets rendered into the lynx data structs, or not).

How many other programs that spawn text files try to clean up left over
backup files?   Does trn?  Does cvs?  Does elm?  (Probably the 3
application I use most often next to lynx).  I've never noticed problems
with backup files.  Then again, I use vi.

I really don't think lynx should even attempt to do this.

Given that, for at least the version installed on my system, emacs.info
says:

Emacs does not normally make backup files for files in `/tmp'.

I don't see what the problem is.

I think trying to deal with backup is too dangerous to even consider.  The
idea of "do no harm" should be paramount here.  Automatically deleting a
file we did not create ourselves is just too risky.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all