Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion

From: The Vrana Family
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:55:05 -0500

Leonid, thanks for the info.  I have 2.8.1rel1 on my PC, the latest
available, and I think it does not work that way.  So I guess I'll have to
wait for the next version to be released.  But I'm encouraged now, unless
someone else says that it's been that way for a long time.  Any idea when
2.8.2 will be released?

I assume that the latest version isn't available anywhere where the public
can run it (or in PC format).  I know 2.8.1rel2 is available at
telnet://lynx.bob.bofh.org, but it behaves the same as my 2.8.1rel1 in this
respect.  Thanks.

--Bruce Vrana

----------
> From: Leonid Pauzner <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion
> Date: Thursday, February 11, 1999 7:48 AM
>
> 6-Feb-99 08:16 The Vrana Family wrote:
> > I'm an avid Lynx user, using 2.7 on my ISP all the time, as well as the
PC
> > version of 2.8.  Thanks so much for a great program.
>
> [...]
> Discussing Lynx implementation of USEMAP you wrote about the proper
> HTTP referer field:
>
> > If this is not possible for some technical reason, how about the
following
> > alternative.  Some maps when you click on them, expand into a menu (not
the
> > one at treeloot, though).  You can then move to the link you want and
press
> > enter.  However, if the site requires the "click" to come from the
prior
> > page, it won't accept it properly.  It thinks (rightly so) that you're
> > coming from an invalid page - the temporary page with the image map.  I
> > suspect it's looking for the document.referrer to be the correct page.
> > Could lynx be modified to give the site the document.referrer of the
> > original page, rather than the locally rendered map?  A typical example
is
> > at www.successmarketplace.com/shops/benchmark, when you click on the
Free
> > Vacation banner.  (This one will work, but if you then enter another
one at
> > www.successmarketplace.com/shops/nmc, it's supposed to also work
because
> > it's a different site, but it isn't accepted, since it thinks you came
from
> > the same page again - and you did come from the same page, the locally
> > rendered map.  This is not a cache issue - same thing happens if you
quit
> > lynx and start over.)
>
> >  Thanks so much for considering this request.
>

> I made a trace log from recent lynx version and seems the referer field
OK.