Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:54:27 -0800

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 09:06:41AM -0500, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> I would be strongly *against* adding "features" that are OS-dependent.
> One of the strong points about Lynx is that it runs in so many
> environments. How will Win32, VMS, and other UNIX Lynx users benefit
> from this?

I don't use C or even a "loader (linker)" or make, etc (Mainsail, lang I
use, works differently) -- but -- isn't there SOME way stuff can be
"loaded" (linked) at RUN-time?

If so, then some bridging-routines could be written, eg "addThisCmd()",
"remapThisCmd()", callable by the runtime-loadee.

Then each could program (and document!!!) to his heart's content
for whatever platform he wanted special features for.

And the lynx source would not be touched ONE IOTA!

David