Re: lynx-dev Bug in FTP access to wuftp

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Bug in FTP access to wuftp
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:08:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:

> This is not a bug in Lynx, except to the extent that Lynx cannot view
> FTP directories that are set up with wuftp. In trying to build the Lynx
> FTP site, I've found that directory listings are missing when the wuftp
> server uses the "virtual FTP" service. As an example, the ftp.wustl site
> is running this server; I see this with command line ftp:
>
> /jes> ftp wuarchive.wustl.edu
> Connected to wuarchive.wustl.edu.
> 220 wuarchive.wustl.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16](1) Wed
> Apr 1 08:28:10 CST
>  1998) ready.
> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> ftp> ls
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
> lost+found
> systems
> graphics
> packages
> languages
> edu
> doc
> multimedia
> usenet

I don't even get that from 'ls' with at least one ftp client.

The server gives the above (file names without any additional info)
Try the command 'debug' in your ftp client in order to see.
It seems pretty broken to me.

Probably it is a file/directlry permission mismatch.  What are the
uid/gid of the running ftpd process after someone has logged in
as "anonymous"?  Do they match the owner/group of the directories
and files that should be accessed?  What's the userid listed in
inetd.conf? (I think it should be root.)

   ----

Why do you think this has something to do with "virtual FTP"?  Is
virtual FTP needed for sol.slcc.edu?  As I understand it, it doesn't
make any sense unless the machine has more than one IP address.

Appended excerpt from my /usr/doc/wu-ftpd-academ/VIRTUAL.FTP.SUPPORT
that came with package version 2.4.2.16.  (The running daemon's banner
message says "FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-16](1)", same as
wustl's.) I have no "virtual" statements in the ftpaccess file (but
the client is supposed to be compiled with virtual host support),
the relevant inetd.conf line is

 ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/ftpd

where /usr/sbin/ftpd points to

 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        87276 Feb 22 11:30 /usr/sbin/wu-ftpd-academ

the daemon runs as user ftp.ftp after anonymous login, files and dirs under
in the anonymous file area are owned by root.root, I don't have the problem.

I added "virtual" lines as below (same root and banner as default, different
logfile to verify they take effect) - still no problem.

   Klaus

----- snip ------------
Here's the steps.

Compile the software with -DVIRTUAL added to the CFLAGS in the Makefile

Add lines similar to the following for each virtual server to ftpaccess:

# Virtual Server at 10.10.10.10
virtual 10.10.10.10 root    /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv
virtual 10.10.10.10 banner  /var/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv/banner.msg
virtual 10.10.10.10 logfile /var/log/ftp/virtual/ftp-serv/xferlog

The first arg is the ip address of the virtual server.
The second arg is either "root", "banner" or "logfile" (without the quotes)
for that virtual server.
The third arg is the file system location for the item specified in the
second arg.

Note: all the other message files, etc, and permissions and other settings
in the ftpaccess file apply to all virtual servers.