Re: lynx-dev lynx with -color and -lss

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx with -color and -lss
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:30:44 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to compile Lynx 2.8.1 on my Linux system
> (Red Hat 5.2), since the original binary didn't support
> color styles (lss).  Despite my earnest attempts, however,
> I won't get any color.  I did
>
> /configure --enable-persistent-cookies \
>       --enable-color-style \
>       --enable-default-colors \
>       --enable-underlines \
>       --with-screen=ncurses
>
> but the resulting binary doesn't support the -color
> command line option.  I've tried slang as well, to no
> avail.

the -color option is a hack for the slang library (basically
says do color even if the terminal description says it doesn't).
lynx does color automatically if you are linked with ncurses.
(it's not been an faq, but we could add a dummy option for this case)

if you're able to get color with the ncurses tests (i.e., you have
installed ncurses terminfo), you should be able to get color with lynx
with no problem.

the lss file handling is a problem: there's no error reported if the
lynx.lss file isn't installed and you give no -lss option, but the
colors are not right then (but as LP notes, the feature's not well
supported since it's considered experimental).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden