Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, colors and VT100
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:23:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>
>> > I've seen many messages here saying that VT100 doesn'support color.
>> > That's true for real VT100 terminals, not for VT100/VT102 emulators, and
>> > I don't believe that many people are using real VT100 terminals
>> > nowadays. Most VT100 emulators I know support color. Last year I
>> > discussed that subject with Thomas and others in
>> > comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc.
>>
>> -- I still disagree though
>
>You may disagree but the fact is that most VT100 terminal emulators support
>color.

But this is a contradiction in terms.

If VT100 does not support color, which others have stated is a fact, then
a "vt100 emulator" cannot support color, because it is no longer a vt100
emulator.  It could be called a "vt100-ish emulator that also supports color",
but by definition a vt100 emulator cannot support color if it is true that
actual vt100 terminals do not display color.