Re: lynx-dev LYNX: NEED: ability to read lynx.cfg WHILE RUNNING LYNX

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: NEED: ability to read lynx.cfg WHILE RUNNING LYNX
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:58:40 -0400 (EDT)

From: Vlad Harchev <address@hidden>

> Question - does the lynx.cfg override all compile time, lynxrc, and command
> line options?  If not, it seems to me having the lynx configuration info,
> with some indicator of where the particular information was set, would be
> invaluable for debugging lynx configuration problems...

> My recent patch does this (if by "where" you mean in which configuraion file
>and on which line it was set - not the way - via commandline or via lynx.cfg).

Now _this_ I can see a use for.  I don't suppose I could talk you into
considering a reorganization so that what one sees by default is

1. Configuration name
2. _Brief_ explanation of the configuration - with a link to a more detailed
explanation
3. Default setting (what does default mean?  Default as in 'from the source
code', from the cfg file, or what?
4. Current setting

>  If you (dis)like  this functionality, please say about this on lynx-dev
>(there were no any reports except Henry's about this).

As I have said before, many of us don't take a look at large patches unless
it is a fix for something truly broken (not inconvenient - but non-functional).
Up until this message, what I _thought_ you were discussing, from your
descriptions, was a way to hyperlink browse the lynx.cfg descriptions, which
to me is relatively inconsequential since on my site, _my_ users don't set
those values - I do.  And I use the lynx.cfg descriptions when setting them.

However, now seeing that what is REALLY being provided is a hyperlinked
'database' of the current process's configuration status, I can see use in
this.  I am still VERY concerned about the idea of having the same information
stored in multiple places.  Once we can portably generate this stuff as a
part of the install process I will be happier <grin>...
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>