Re: lynx-dev HTML docs (not yours!) with almost every link "broken"

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HTML docs (not yours!) with almost every link "broken"
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:17:56 +0500 (SAMST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> Right - I wasn't certain why the author emailed us.  Unless of course changing
> browsers resulted in the pages working.  If that were the case, I would
> be a bit concerned.
>
> Could it be that the binary distribution of lynx on a Microsoft based
> operating system is case sensitive and Microsoft and Netscape browsers on
> the same platform are not?

 Seems all depends on filesystem. Windows and Windows NT's filesystems store
the case of the filename (and display the case correctly), but they do
case-insensitive matches on filenames when opening files. So, it seems that
this is not browser-specific.
 I have following version: if the .zip file was created by dos version of
pkzip, then all filenames are uppercased in it. Probably expansion of such
archive on windows will produce files with lowercased names (since this
file will be expanded by dos version of pkunzip, or by correctly written
windows version of pkzip) and will work ok.
 May be renaming all extraced files to lowercased version will help in this
case (if extraction was done on some Unix) - this can also be considered by
writers of pkzip unpacking programs.

> --
> Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>
> Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should
> be construed as representing my employer's opinions.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad