lynx-dev including/excluding charsets (was: CPU problems connecting to a

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev including/excluding charsets (was: CPU problems connecting to a site)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:21:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> it's doable - not as written, but making similar logic -
> but I thought the small-subset was more useful.

Well, having to list all charsets to be included requires the users
(installer) to know which are necessary for reasonable operation.  A
lot of folks using this feature may get that wrong.  I *think* without
at least iso-8859-1, us-ascii, utf-8 (maybe also x-transparent) listed
there will be some "interesting" failure modes (not lynx crashing or
hanging, but lynx rendering entities etc. in weird ways).

Maybe there should be a --with-charsets=minimal, where minmal is
equivalent to a list of charsets (yet to be determined exactly) that
are required for minimal "reasonable" behavior.

   Klaus