Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:40:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 11:22:40PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:
>
> Yes, it's constantly increasing,  but only the load. The memory consumption
> stop at 9.15% (I have 128mb of RAM+128mb of swap). When I start Lynx it
> uses like ~1.5%.

If you waited long enough, it should eventually eat all your swap space.
That might get fun...

(Use ulimit to prevent catastrophes like that.)

> >  The following may help:
> > attach to the process, make bt, 'detach', wait for some time (~30 secs), and
                                     ^^^^^^
> > then attach and make bt. Do the traces differ? If not, then seems that this
> > is
> > a bug in malloc.

That should have been 'q' (and then answer the prompt appropriately).
It seems the process didn't run at all between detaching and attaching
(the addresses were all the same).

But I think we know what the problem is, so more tracing should not be
necessary for _this_ problem.

   Klaus