Re: lynx-dev download.com (was something)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev download.com (was something)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 07:55:15 +0100 (BST)

> you could easily have looked it up yourself:

I tried doing this for something else and the only way
I could have actually tested it was to download something and
add to their statistics on me and the program.

> it appears to be a reasonably responsible download site

It is not responsible if it actually stores the programs on its
own site as the program in question had a not redistributable
status (address@hidden client).   People were claiming that it was
faster than the official site, but someone else said that it
redirected to the official site.

> with an out-of-date & mislabelled version of Lynx.

It also had an out of date version and claimed the licence status
was Free, when it is Free but not redistributable, or modifiable.

> i have sent a correction to  address@hidden , as you could have done.

I was doing this from the office and couldn't find an appropriate
contact address in a reasonable amount of time.  In any case, I thought
it more important for any complaint to come from the copyright owner
(not that they seem to read their mail).