Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation

From: Juan-Carlos Lerman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: justification+hyphenation
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 00:30:40 -0700

Vlad Harchev wrote:

>   Lynx will be unable to find the hyphenated word. The biggest problem in
> supporting search on hyphenated text is that lynx currently searches in each
> line only (so, it's unable to find "foo bar" if "foo" is the last word of one
> line, and "bar" is the first on next line).

What's the use of an electronic text that can't be searched
electronically? For my _modus operandi_ a text with broken
words (hyphenated at the breaks) would be as "useful" as a
typographically set book with some words printed with invisible
ink. IMHO, the possibility of reading/sorting/indexing texts
electronically is as revolutionary as the invention of the
printing press and it *should be preserved.*

You should realize that this applies not only to Lynx searches
but to searching/indexing/sorting text *rendered by Lynx*
using *other software* such as, e.g., AltaVista Discovery.

> So, it will take some efforts to implement hyphenated words
> search.

These efforts would hypothetically allow Lynx to do word
searches but not other software as mentioned above.
Then, paraphrasing Tukey (rather than Fermat) "it's not
worthwhile to correctly implement for few, something that's
useless for many."

> >[...]

==