Re: lynx-dev After Javascript, SVG is New Accessibility Threat.

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev After Javascript, SVG is New Accessibility Threat.
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 17:02:45 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev After Javascript, SVG is New Accessibility Threat."
[27/May/2000 Sat 03:55:55]
Larry W. Virden wrote:

> What is the group's plan to ensure that web users who require voice access
> to the web, who require small screen access to the web, or spider
> indexing can continue to access such sites?

Well, they'd probably make special considerations for web spiders.
Everyone wants hits, and site indexing helps that.

For the blind, I guess they'd need a graphical browser plugged
into some kind of OCR program to recover text from these vectorized
line-drawings *of* text, which in turn would have to be plugged
into a text-to-speech converter.  If any such thing existed, it
would probably make HUGE demands for system memory and disk space.
I doubt it would run on low-end machines at all, and it would
probably be very expensive.

They're probably not thinking about handheld devices at all.

> Or are they planning on leaving the blind, mobile computing, and
              ^^^^^^^^
> web search engines, out of their sites?

I'm sure they're not planning anything, except to make flashier,
prettier websites.  The same kind of planning that goes into things
like;
        <A HREF="JavaScript:('function')">Go!</A>
instead of;
        <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JavaScript1.0>
        <!--
        document.write("<A HREF='JavaScript:('function')'>")
        // -->
        </SCRIPT>
        <NOSCRIPT><A HREF="other_document.html"></NOSCRIPT>Go!</A>
or even;
        <A HREF="other_document.html" TARGET="new">Go!</A>

when the script only serves to define a popup window.  [Question:
is it acceptable to use TARGET= when the document is not part
of a frameset?  Not that "JavaScript:()" is even *close* to a valid
URL type, but I'm curious.]

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>