lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG

From: Christian Weisgerber
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx should respect LANG
Date: 27 May 2000 21:22:58 +0200

Henry Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:

> The part about "disabled JavaScript" is no joke.  The successful hit rate,
> meaning at least some useful information can be gleaned from the page,
> with Lynx seems to be dropping on a daily basis.

As somebody else mentioned, it seems to depend on personal browsing
habits. Since I mostly use w3m, which doesn't have JavaScript
either, or Netscape with JavaScript explicitly disabled, I should
see the same problem. However, while there are occasional pages,
where JavaScript is used to construct an URL and where I have to
examine the source, this has so far been not much of a problem.

> Honestly, can Lynx render even half of the pages out there?

It certainly does render them in some way. ;-)

The killer for me lately are tables. *Everybody* uses tables to
force positional layout. It sucks, but if I can't deal with it,
I'll be limited to my own homepage. Lynx' rendering of tables
produces difficult or impossible to read results for most things
out there. Basically I've given up on lynx in favor of w3m (which
has its own share of problems, for certain).

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          address@hidden