Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:39:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:
>> ...and what about the servers that deliver a completely different page
>
>And what about them?  It's your choice: sell Lynx out, or send an agent
>string that truthfully identifies Lynx _and_ its capabilities.  Unfortunately,
>that often means _including_ within the string "Mozilla" or "MSIE 4".  It
>definitely does NOT mean leaving out "Lynx+version."

Well, I don't currently have the lynx version in there, but it's
amazing that people are arguing against being able to *use* web sites.

Lynx already has some "work with bad html" features.  With the attitude
about user-agent given here by some others, all of those should be ripped
out to further limit the amount of web pages that work with lynx.

With regard to lynx, I am mostly a *user*.  I want the browser to work with
the same pages that other browsers work with.  If that means spoofing a
user agent string to get into several sites, I do that.

I run with the standard user agent most of the time, but have aliases set
up to use a mozilla user agent for those commercial sites that I know I
need to use it with.

That is just being realistic.