Re: lynx-dev local download over telnet

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local download over telnet
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:50:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > option, which escapes all control characters. Most DOS implementations
> > that I have seen other than those by Chuck Forsberg of Omen Technology
> > seem broken. I would make sure that I was using dsz/gsz/zcomm/pro-YAM
>
> actually, the last one I tested was Omen's (not that it seems to make much
> difference).  It simply wouldn't download.  I didn't spend any time debugging
> it - when I first tried that with zmodem some years ago, it was rather
> ugly code that didn't port well (that was apparently right after Omen put
> out their version, and _that_ didn't work any better, and had to boot that
> annoying copyright notice - so I was disinclined to fix it).

I haven't done much with zmodem the last few years, but I seem to
recall that it took a bit of tweaking of parameters to get it to
function reliably. Zmodem was designed for the BBS world with direct
8-bit clean connections. It seems to work well there. Kermit was
designed to work over almost any connection, with speed a secondary
consideration. I now use kermit when I can and use zmodem when
connecting to a machine that doesn't have a working kermit.

This seems to be getting off-topic for lynx-dev.
                           Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden