Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev latest status on java script support?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:15:39 -0600

        I just installed the lynx-cur.tgz version of lynx which
is lynx2-8-5 on a FreeBSD system without any problem.

        I figure if I am going to do any hacking, I might as well
hack on the current version.

        Since I really don't know that much about javascript yet,
and several people have said that lynx needs a rewrite, etc, it
seems like the plan should be to try to keep as much as what is
known to be good working.  In other words, let's not throw the
baby out with the bath water.

        It is one thing to use a program and quite another to
need to modify one so that it still works properly at what it
used to do while gaining new functionality.

        I have not set up and compiled lynx with debugging, yet,
so I don't know the flow of the program, but ideally, it should
have modular sections that allow one to insert new modules which
take input that isn't fit to continue processing, fix it, and
send it on to existing modules that hopefully can now handle it.

        The first thing that I can imagine doing is to break the
operations in to blocks that work as independently of each other
as possible with each block taking the output of the preceding
engine as its input.

        My idea is that what has been done over all these years
is very good and there was probably a good reason for doing it
the way it was done.  Now, how can it be made infinitely
extensible?  I don't want much, do I?

        Some programs have documentation files called
"hacking.this" or "hacking.that" that suggest things one can do
to stay out of trouble,
etc.  Are there any such documents anywhere?  There is no point
in remaking the same mistakes everyone else has already made.  I
like to make new mistakes when possible.  It keeps life
interesting.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group