Re: lynx-dev any way to download *.asf files by "mms://" protocol?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev any way to download *.asf files by "mms://" protocol?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:22:12 +0100 (BST)

> It would be nice to download sample audio files for listening at a later time.

Many audio files, and I think .asf are amongst those, are intended only
to be streamed in real time.  One reason for that is almost certainly
copyright control (digital rights management); the owners of the content
are probably prepared for it to be listened to in real time, where it
can be accounted for, and removed from the system completely, but not
for it to be served in a form where it can be saved and redistributed.

The more user oriented advantage of streaming is that the contents of
the stream can be tweaked to account for the exact bandwidth available.