Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:25:32 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 10:03:45PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > >  You should use a commandline option:
> > >
> > > links -g
> > >   to start it in X (and some other switch to start it with SVGAlib).
> > >  Default mode is text mode.
> >
> > hmm (running links -g)
>
>  I'm impressed by your ignorance of links :)

no need - I've been very busy.  And seeing 2.1pre's manpage begins with this

       links  is  a text mode WWW browser with ncurses interface,
                                               ^^^^^^^
       supporting colors,  correct  table  rendering,  background
       downloading,  menu driven configuration interface and slim
       code.

It goes on to claim that it recognizes file:// URLs which also is incorrect
(I just checked that with 0.98 and 2.1pre).

I tend to ignore the rest of the so-called documentation (I pointed that out
more than once over the past few years - I see that 0.98 finally fixed that).

The "-g" option isn't in the manpage anyway, and it appears that the way to
determine what the program does is to read the source code...

>  Nope, they embedded fonts into executable in order not to store them as
> external files (MSish ways - all in one).

("reliable monolithic design")

more apt:

"beauty is only skin-deep"

--