lynx-dev [OT] Alternatives to NS4 (Re: Problem with parameters sent in L

From: Ian Collier
Subject: lynx-dev [OT] Alternatives to NS4 (Re: Problem with parameters sent in Lynx)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:14:22 +0000

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:32:53AM +0100, Peter Rasmussen wrote:
> On Mon Dec 30 01:15:19 2002 Ian Collier <address@hidden> wrote:
> >I did explain this in an earlier message.
> Sorry your highness, for not remembering.

That's OK, my minion, I was just reminding you...

> If disk space is the problem have you tried to use Opera?

Good point.  I have just now downloaded it but unfortunately all it does
when run on my system is say "Segmentation fault".  :-(

> And if performance is a problem you should chuck any RedHat distribution and
> go with Slackware. There you will also have the flexibility to install any
> window manager you feel like.

Actually I'm quite happy with my fvwm (original) window manager. :-)

Since my machine is working fine I am reluctant to do anything that
requires a complete reinstall; however, if I were to switch from
Red Hat then it would be to Debian rather than Slackware.

> I use fvwm2 myself and glibc-2.2 from Slackware 8.1 on an AMD K6-2 machine as
> my terminal, so I am not sure it is because you have limited machine power but
> perhaps haven't investigated your possibilities right?

When I said that my machine does not meet their minimum specifications I
was referring to the fact that it doesn't have the required versions of
glibc and gtk.  Upgrading to Red Hat 8 (or ever 7.3) is not really an
option because of Red Hat's code bloat, and switching glibc versions
without upgrading would probably be suicidal.

> >It was just an illustration of how people do not in general use
> >"developed" versions of things; the fact that X is no longer actively
> >developed does not imply that no one uses X any more.
> >
> Oh, you are wrong on that one, X is being developed pretty heavily, but it
> isn't anymore the Open Group that does it, it is XFree86. Take a look at:
>
>   http://www.xfree86.org/
>
> And you might be surprised.

Just in case you're not joking, allow me to point out that when I
wrote "X" I was not referring to X11 but to a generic, unspecified
"product X".

imc