Re: mailing-list problem (Was Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 01:55:43 -0200

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:05:02PM -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> > > lynx-dev is a majordomo list - I see to recall that its subscriber
> > > list is available.
> >
> > Yes, but for who ?
>
> Anyone who is subscribed.  I pulled it down ("who lynx-dev") just now.
> There are "141 subscribers".  [Wow!  The numbers sure have dwindled.]

I'm surprised any subscriber is. So, any spammer can subscribe
and get all addresses. While it's very unlikely to happen, I
wouldn't say the chances are zero.

It's only good to have it enabled when we don't have any
control and consider moving, so we can add all them.

> > > the mailing list seems to need some work.
>
> What problems are there?  It seems like a very standard Majordomo list.

Yes, and IMO Majordomo sucks compared to Listar and Mailman.
It's so nice to be able to do everything through a browser with
hundreds of options.

> As very busy as he is, I believe Bob Izenberg does a
> tremendous job (totally volunteer and unpaid) in maintaining
> the list.

I never said he didn't, but nobody seems to be moderating it.

And he never objected to move - see
http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month092003/msg00130.html

> I have seen no spam, and until this latest rash of virus
> garbage, which is so random in nature as to make it extremely
> difficult to filter reliably, there has been simply nil junk
> hitting the list.

Sure, there has been no spam, but the official archive (blame
flora.org) is full of it. We can fix all problems, and also
move the flora.org archives (without the spam) in the long run.

And what we get ? Full control.

BTW, to not write another e-mail.

Thomas or anyone. How do I set --enable-vertrace in
makefile.bcb ? I tried adding -DLY_TRACELINE __LINE__ but it
complained.

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html